Dental Cleanings – Houston, TX
Keeping Oral Health Problems Away
Many patients wonder why it’s necessary to receive professional cleanings from their dentist in Houston when they brush and floss their teeth at home every day. There are hard-to-reach nooks and crannies in your mouth that you won’t be able to get to with a regular toothbrush. Fortunately, Dr. Neda Dodig is well-equipped to clean those areas and prevent tartar buildup that can cause cavities and gum disease. She focuses on providing each patient that walks through her doors with thorough preventive care that keeps pesky oral health problems away. If it has been longer than six months since you’ve last gotten your teeth cleaned, don’t hesitate to contact our office today to schedule an appointment!
What Happens During a Professional Cleaning?
When you visit our office for a dental cleaning, you may notice a tray of tools situated next to where you’re sitting in the treatment room. These are incredibly helpful at removing tartar, plaque, and food debris from your gumline. They also provide us with unique access to hard-to-reach places of your mouth and a magnified view of your teeth and gums. Here are the different tools we use and what they do:
- Scaler: Our scaler is a hook-shaped piece of metal that cuts through plaque and tartar. Using it, we’ll trace over your gumline and the surface of your teeth to remove these harmful substances and prevent the accumulation of bacteria.
- Dental Mirror: The dental mirror is a small, circular-shaped mirror that magnifies the area of your mouth that we point it in. This allows us to remove plaque and tartar that would otherwise be unspotted by the naked eye.
- Polisher: At the end of your appointment, we put a gritty substance called prophylaxis paste on a polisher and gently brush it across the visible surface of your teeth. It will break apart stains and discoloration, leaving you with a bright and beautiful smile.
Why are Professional Dental Cleanings Important?
Few people actually look forward to visiting their dentist to get their teeth cleaned. That’s why at West U Dental Smiles, our team goes out of their way to make each patient’s experience comfortable and enjoyable. There’s nothing better than leaving our office feeling well-taken care of, refreshed, and proud to let your smile show. Plus, with regular cleanings, we’re able to reduce your risk of developing oral health problems in the future. Here are some other reasons you won’t want to skip your next appointment:
- Control plaque and tartar buildup.
- Extend the lifespan of your smile.
- Reduce staining and discoloration.
At-Home Dental Hygiene Tips
Oftentimes, your first line of defense against harmful oral problems is a good dental hygiene routine. That’s why it’s important to invest time and attention into brushing and flossing every morning and night. Here are some additional tips to keep your mouth happy and healthy:
- Use a soft-bristled electric or manual toothbrush.
- Use ADA-approved dental health products.
- Limit snacking on sugary foods.
- Don’t forget to clean your tongue every time you brush your teeth.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Don’t brush too hard.
- Quit bad oral habits like smoking and nail-biting.
To keep your oral health on track, be sure to schedule your dental cleaning by contacting our office today!