IV Sedation – Houston, TX
Get Outstanding Dental Care Without Any Fear
It's been estimated that 1/3 of the population avoids going to the dentist out of fear and phobia. Sadly, without high-quality dental care, it's difficult or even impossible to achieve good oral health, which everyone needs to eat, speak, and smile comfortably. At West U Dental Smiles, Dr. Dodig wants to help everyone have a positive experience in the dental chair. And as a sedation dentist in Houston with advanced training and experience, she's able to do just that! We offer multiple sedation options, including IV sedation, so that even our patients with moderate or severe anxiety can get the care they need. If you want to achieve great oral health in a comfortable environment, give our office a call. Dr. Dodig and our friendly team are here to help!
What Is IV Sedation Dentistry?
Also called conscious sedation, IV sedation will deeply calm and relax you, without putting you to sleep. After we administer your medication through an IV, you'll begin to feel the effects fairly quickly. Then we'll closely monitor you throughout your visit to make sure you're doing well.
When your procedure is over, you'll need to have someone drive you home because the effects won't wear off for several hours. Most people are tired when they get home, but feel great after taking a nice long nap, particularly since they know their dental work is over and done!
Preparing For IV Sedation
Here are some tips to help you prepare for IV sedation in Houston:
- First, make arrangements for a friend or family member to drive you to and from your appointment.
- Take the day off from work to rest and recover.
- Don't consume any foods or beverages for 8 hours beforehand. To make this easier, you can schedule your visit earlier in the day so you can simply skip breakfast.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and minimal jewelry.
- In general, we recommend taking your normal prescription medications, but we'll evaluate your medical history before your visit to make sure.
Are You a Candidate For IV Sedation?
Most people are great candidates for IV sedation, and it's been used for many decades to help millions of people feel relaxed in the dental chair. It's particularly helpful for:
- Anyone with moderate to severe anxiety or a history of traumatic dental experiences
- Before longer visits or those that involve multiple procedures
- People who have severe tooth sensitivity
- Patients with complex dental problems
- Patients who don't get numb easily or have a strong gag reflex
Benefits of IV Sedation
First and foremost, IV sedation enables you to get the treatment you need to have a healthy smile. But it also has the added benefit of producing an amnesia effect, so you won't remember much of your dental procedure, if anything, when it's over. Many people find that this alone reduces their fears, making it easier and easier to come in for appointments over time. Not to mention that IV sedation makes your dental procedures go smoother, which means you'll experience a lot less stress.